Monday, October 22, 2012

Contenment

Whether you are a Christian or not, being content in all situations is certainly a virtue that we covet.  In the book of Philippians, Apostle Paul writes, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."  I believe that in addition to prayer and study, you can train your mind to be more content.

This week monsoon rains started a few minutes before I had to head to class.  As I walked outside I hesitated before leaving cover and one of the local students noticed.  He was quick to offer me a spot under his umbrella until we made it to shelter.  That act of kindness put me in a very good mood.  However, when my professor spoke about our final exam in my class an hour later, I felt sad, nervous, and a bit angry.  At that point I think I had two choices.  I could continue sulking over a stupid test or I could remember my new friend and his umbrella. 

In the remaining two months I hope to be more conscious of the situations I let rule my mind.  Continually thinking about the blessings in my life including my family, friends, traveling experiences, educational opportunities, and good health will likely lead me to deeds such as holding an umbrella for a stranger.  While letting silly frustrations rule my thought process could easily lead to insensitivity, rudeness, pride, and a long downward spiral of negativity. 

Pairing this mentality with seeking balance in life like I believe I mentioned in my last post should help me attain the growth I wish to bring back home.  Coming to Singapore isn't only about seeing the world.  It is about learning to be content in new and different situations, and sharing that skill with all the people I know and meet in the future.

Thanks for reading everyone, stay in touch!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. Just what I needed right now. Glad you're doing well on the other side of the world!

    ReplyDelete