Hey! I have three more days in Singapore (kinda) and then I'm off to the Philippines for 10 days! Today, was my last Sunday at Redemption Hill Church. It may be the place I miss most in Singapore. It is full of fun people from around the world who simply love Jesus. Today I had to say goodbye to many. At least five people wondered why I still haven't shaved my mustache...
I have two more exams, on Tuesday and Wednesday. I will pack all of my things on Wednesday and head out to the airport on the other side of the island in the evening. I am flying in and out of Cebu, Philippines. My ultimate goal within the ten days is to earn my PADI Open Water Scuba Certification. I think I will complete the certification and spend most of my time in the Western Philippines in and around Palawan. I cannot stop looking up flights, hotels, diving centers, things to do, etc!
I am not sure if I will create another post before I arrive home on December 18th so here is my reflection sneak peak:
- I love meeting people from other countries. Each person's life is interesting and unique. One of my regrets is not learning more about the people I encountered here.
- One's attitude has a very large impact on their outlook. No, Singapore is not my favorite place in the world. However, there are some pretty incredible aspects. The country is warm and beautiful. The people work harder than I believe they should, but clearly, they have earned their high status in the world. The food is great. Singapore's location is perfect for seeing the rest of South East Asia. In other words, this country actually rocks. My occasional cynical attitude tended to not let me see that truth.
- Something is not wrong because it is different. For example, I do not like the school system in Singapore. I think it facilitates unhealthy competition more than learning. Yet, I was raised in American schools my entire life. We each appreciate different aspects of our system. They both produce successful and unsuccessful people. It's simply, different.
- Your location does not creating lasting happiness, your relationships do. When the exchange students and I return home we undoubtedly will tell all our friends and family about the places and things we saw. Most will not ask about all the friendships created because they're simply not relevant. However, the exchange students and I will stay in contact with the people closest to us. And I guarantee the majority would visit their friends before returning to a place they raved to their relatives about. When you're in good company, everything else is trivial
That is all for now, back to "studying"!
No comments:
Post a Comment